Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has just confirmed India now has a total of 28 coronavirus patients

"There is one patient in Delhi, one in Telangana and six in Agra who have tested positive for COVID-19. Apart from these, 16 Italian nationals have tested positive for the disease. The driver of the group of Italian nationals, who were touring in Jaipur, has also tested positive," the Minister explained.

harsh vardhan
HM Vardhan confirms 28 cases in India

Hyderabad is screening at least 88 people for signs of COVID-19. These are the people who came in contact with one 24-year-old techie who tested positive for the virus in Bengaluru. In Delhi, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that another 88 people who had contact with the Delhi-based patient will also receive screening.

The CM added that Delhi's Municipal Corporations are doing more screenings of tourists coming from the four worst infected countries. These screenings are now taking place at hotels and guesthouses of Delhi. The Delhi patient had even dined at the upscale Hyatt Regency Hotel on February 28. This prompted the hotel staff to begin self-quarantining.

india coronavirus
The coronavirus has officially landed in India

And since Tuesday, two schools from Noida, southeast of Delhi, have remained shut after the local management discovered that one of the students is the child of the Delhi man who recently tested positive for the new coronavirus. The young student and the Delhi patient even attended a birthday party with other students.

Is India ready to counter coronavirus?

So far, all visas including e-visas have been suspended for Korean, Japanese, Italian and Iranian passengers yet to arrive in India. But it's obvious that Indian nationals are already bringing the infection back from their travels. And with the amount of people they came in contact with, the real number of cases is certainly much higher.

india coronavirus
How ready is India for such an epidemic?

Even Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently said on Twitter than he will not be at the Holi Milan program. “Experts across the world have advised to reduce mass gatherings to avoid the spread of COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. Hence, this year I have decided not to participate in any Holi Milan programme,” said the PM's tweet.

Stay tuned and check out our coronavirus section on GuruGamer.com for more news and updates on the complex developments of the dangerous new coronavirus, COVID-19.