Fishing is actually a pretty interesting mechanic in Minecraft. Players can cast their lines out into the water, not just to get fish! There are different items available to grab like junks, potions, or even treasures. But in order to tap the surrounding water bodies in Minecraft, you will first need to craft a fishing rod.

Fishing Rod Minecraft
Use the fishing rod to catch all of the sea dwellers.

Here's our simple guide on how to craft and use the fishing rod in Minecraft!

How to make a fishing rod in Minecraft?

The fishing rod has been in Minecraft since day one. It's a basic tool that players can craft pretty much from the start of the game. In order to make one fishing rod in Minecraft, you will need the following ingredients:

  • 3 sticks
  • 2 strings
Fishing Rod Minecraft Recipe
Fishing Rod recipe

Sticks can be crafted from wood planks, a readily available resource everywhere in Minecraft. Strings are also very common. You can kill spiders or break cobwebs for some.

Once you have obtained all the required materials, follow the recipe below to craft a fishing rod in Minecraft:

  • Open the Crafting Table menu.
  • Place 3 sticks diagonally, starting from the upper top right corner down to the lower bottom left corner.
  • Place 2 strings to the left column.
  • Drag the fishing rod to your inventory.

How to use a fishing rod in Minecraft?

Using the fishing rod itself is as simple as it gets. All you have to do is to find a body of water, right-click to cast (PC version), and wait. On consoles, you can use the left trigger to cast. In the game's Pocket Edition (Bedrock Edition), simply tap the screen. Casting the rod will throw its lure out into the water.

When you can see a small trail of bubbles surfacing the water and approaching the fishing rod's bobber, there's something on the line. Once it pulls the bobber down, start reeling! If you get the timing wrong, the catch will get away.

As we have mentioned previously, the fishing rod brings in not only fish but other items as well. It has an 85% chance to land some type of fish. For 15% of the time, you may reel in items like bows, enchanted books, name tags, fishing rods, bowls, bones, or ink sacs,...

The junks and treasure items also vary according to the biome you're in.

Get out there and start fishing!

Other ways to use the fishing rod

The fishing rod actually has some other uses apart from fishing. You can use it to reel in mobs on land, too. More specifically, when you use fishing rods in combat, they will hook distant opponents and pulling them closer. This is particularly useful to deal with long-range mobs like Ghasts and Blazes.

Another way to abuse the fishing rod is to use it as a steering wheel. If you combine carrots or warped fungus with fishing rods, you can craft either a Carrot on a Stick or a Warped Fungus on a Stick. Throw a saddle on a pig or a Strider, and off you go! You can use the fishing rod to ride mobs in Minecraft around.

Minecraft Pig Riding
Do you know you can ride pigs?

>>> You May Also Like: How To Farm Sugar Cane In Minecraft The Most Effectively